An error occurred attempting to connect to the requested indexing server. Issue
sharepointdev
2006-03-01 16:39:39 UTC
Do all the servers in the medium server farm need to be in the same
subnet?

We have two front end servers in one subnet and the index server and
sql server in another subnet.

Also, mssearch.exe service is in manual startup and is in started state
on index server. Does the startup type matters and will it need to be
in automatic? I did not find any documentation on the services.

Indexes propogates fine to the front end servers every day. search
works fine but results will not be from the latest date. sounds like
the indexes are old and it doesnt crawl. All the search management
pages do not work because of the error.

Any ideas on resolving the index server issue?
sharepointdev
2006-03-05 14:42:36 UTC
We opened a MS Incident ticket and we got it working now.

We added Sharepoint configuration database account, default content
access, and sharepoint application pool accounts (for some
installations, they all may be one account, but we have 3 different
accounts) to the DCOM users group on all the sharepoint servers.

We did not get an answer for the problem with our configuration? and
why our configuration worked fine (before the problem started) without
these accounts under DCOM users group.

We are happy that the configuration is fine. What we found out is the
search crawls, propogation, and search results worked fine all these
days when we had the issue.